Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I'll be up in the gym just workin' on my fitness..

...she's Fergalicious!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I have been doing a decent amount of research lately on workouts. What is best for what goals, what's more effective, that kind of thing. I have had to be careful to avoid too much of the diet talk that abounds on many fitness sites (the diet advice is as varied as the fitness advice, just so you know). Here are a couple things I have learned in my internet sojourn:

  1. Setting goals can be good. I have found myself a little adrift in my workouts, totally unsure what to do or when and wondering if I'm even making any improvements in my health, strength, or endurance. I think having a goal to work toward can be useful to keep on track and also provide a sense of accomplishment. I totally think this is a double-edged sword so I think it's important to not put too much pressure on oneself.
  2. The most effective workout is......the one that you'll do. Cardio, weights, yoga, Pilates, HIIT, endurance, dance, whatever. If you like it and will do it, go for it. You don't even have to do the same thing regularly. I think joyful movement that gets your body going is what's important.
For me, exercise is a huge stress reliever. It keeps the ED demons at bay and makes me feel less guilty about what I eat. However, I do tend to overanalyze so it was helpful for me to understand that any exercise can be good and productive and that being consistent in my efforts is really what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment