Monday, April 30, 2012

Perspective Shift: Appreciation

I gave birth to my (so far!) healthy daughter last June. Around November, I started to experience some hip pain. I figured it was normal, hips readjusting after childbirth and all. It's really amazing what happens to your body during and after pregnancy!

However, the pain started to cycle with my period. And got worse. I am not good at going to the doctor so I kept putting it off. I halfheartedly tried chiropractic and massage but this had little effect. Last month, I finally went to my OB. He tried a few things and made a few outside referrals (orthopedist), but now I am down to a rule-out of endometriosis. I am scheduled to have a laparoscopic procedure in a few weeks to confirm the diagnosis.

This isn't necessarily a really serious diagnosis but it terrifies me. I know it can affect fertility and just make life miserable. My mom has it and she could only have one child. It's funny how a lot of the other "stuff" kind of falls away when your physical health is affected. Your body can do some really amazing things but is also very vulnerable. I could easily be resentful and treat it like the enemy but it's the only one I have.  I am going to try and be more appreciative of it and respectful of it, regardless of the test's outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment