Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Assertiveness

I am not good at asking for what I need. Especially when it requires someone else to do something for me. It makes me physically uncomfortable. Here are some of the (stupid) thoughts that go through my head:

I can do it myself.

I feel bad asking.

I know you're... [tired/busy/other imagined state]

I am embarrassed .

I know these are all very silly but asking for what I need makes me feel vulnerable and open to rejection, derision, or dismissal. The funny part is that by not asking for help or being assertive, I end up making life harder for myself and, oftentimes, for the other person. Makes sense. Ha.

It is almost a novel, and scary, concept to imagine being assertive and open with people, asking for exactly what I need, and being okay with their response.

No comments:

Post a Comment