Friday, January 13, 2012

Did you eat too much?

"I ate too much!"

How often do you say that to yourself?

I say it more often than I should. Here is an internal dialogue I recently had with myself.

Ugh, I ate too much today?
No, you didn't.
I ate all that cake and those cookies.
Are you uncomfortably full?
....No.
Then you didn't eat too much.
(end scene)

With food morality comes this idea that you should only eat certain amounts of certain foods. I.e., lots of vegetables and minimal to no candy. There are lots of caveats to this of course. If you have a medical condition, for example, you may in fact have to limit certain kinds of foods. When I was pregnant, I developed gestational diabetes and had to limit my carbohydrate intake. However, as an IBS sufferer, I also have to watch my vegetable intake (otherwise, tummyache here we come).

Beyond that, we shouldn't judge what kinds of foods we eat. Eat what you enjoy, what makes you happy and feel good. If some days, that's 3 pieces of cake, that's fine.  And if on other days it's spaghetti bolognese, well then that's okay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment